Saturday, August 19, 2023

Charity Quilt #5 2023

 After many comments saying my ugly charity quilts are not ugly I decided maybe I should look for a different charity for these quilts.  With a quick internet search I found a shelter in Indy that houses homeless women with children.  This shelter gives them a place to live and provides resources for rebuilding their lives.


The added bonus for me is I won't need to drive as far to deliver them.  And we won't need to go into the not so safe part of the city.  We can drop them off at one of there donation drop boxes.  Mr. Podunk will still be going with me for safety reasons.   


It's nice to know the quilts might survive longer than a few weeks and provide comfort to those looking to better their situations.


I'll keep making them for the next two weeks.  Then take a short break for a week or two before starting back on the charity quilts.  My plan is to make the first delivery of charity quilts sometime in October when the weather starts turning colder.  The charity says November 1st is when they start seeing a need for more blankets and cold weather items.  As long as I have franken batting and no so loved fabric I'll keep making them. 


 The scraps from these quilts are piling up fast.  I think the quilt made from the scraps will fit the guideline of an ugly homeless quilt.  I'm on a mission to make a quilt that you all will find to be absolutely ugly.


Until next time...

I hope you find time to stitch up something sweet!







Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the women's shelter and women trying to improve their life and the lives of their children. I think they'll be more appreciate of these quilts. Do you have denim from old blue jeans? I've made comforters from blue jean denim that had stains that won't wash out. These were for the farmer to take to cow shows when he slept in the barn and the children also used them in the dairy barn at the fair. It didn't matter if they were dropped in dirt. They can take the abuse, they're also good to use just to sit on the ground. The grandchildren also use them for snacks outside. It didn't matter of popsicles dripped on them, the stains just added more color! I don't know how they would quilt which is why I always knotted mine. I suggest you use a wider seam allowance than 1/4", I used 1/2". Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also make charity quilts. I donate to KAAP- Kingman Aid to Abused People. Every kid helped gets a "blanket" and stuffed animal. My small quilt group all make at least two a year for them. They are local and it makes me happy to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...