Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Back Door Quilts ~ Our Local Quilt Shop

Yesterday I needed to make a quick trip into town for toilet paper, a small pair of sharp scissors and a fingertip stiletto.  Well the quick trip turned into four hours and I found more than scissors at our local quilt shop, Back Door Quilts.

The plan was to go in the shop, don't look around, go directly to the notions wall, keep my head down, eyes on the carpet, check out  and leave.  HAHA!  At least I had a plan and I tried.  

 These Kitty Christmas mini charms were just too darn cute, I had to have them.  The plan was to make a small quilt using these charms since the shop had sold out of the adorable panel.  BUT... I knew I could find the matching panel online. It will be here in a few days.


Y'all know I'm not a fan of black, orange and purple.  But there's something about Wecker Frisch fabric and panels that I love.  Admiring from afar with every new line.  What is happening to me?  I've never been a fan of novelty prints or panels.  All I can say is when you become a grandma things change.


They are a perfect balance of not too cute and not too scary for kids and adults.  I would like to make three Wecker Frisch Halloween quilts for the grandkids.  A quick Google search brought up a few older panels.  Most were way overpriced since they are out of print.  Luckily I found a shop with last year panel that was reasonably priced.   Hopefully next year Wecker Frisch will have another great Halloween line of fabric.  These will be put into the stash until next year.


This Flea Market print is perfect for a quilt I drew up last week. There was only three yards left so I decided it was too risky to leave it behind...wink, wink.


More about this quilt coming soon but I'll tell you how it started.  Remember last week when I sorted all the fat quarter bundles by color?  While sorting I decided to try to use up all the other precuts.  There's a few jelly rolls, honey buns, a couple Jolly bars, one layer cake, and a ton of charm packs.   

This Flea Market jelly roll was purchased a few years ago at the same shop.  The quilt I designed needed a little more than a jelly roll.  A quick pull of two fat quarters and a quilt kit was ready to go.  It might be the next quilt I make.  I also have pulled fabric to go with a layer cake and decided on a Missouri Star Video quilt pattern.


Now for the  things on the shopping list.  A year or two ago I bought these pink handled scissors at this shop.  They are great scissors, sharp all the way to the tip.  Perfect for applique and snipping threads.   The plan was to use them only at the longarm but they have become my favorite and I use them all the time and find myself hunting them down.  It would be nice to have one or two more pairs to place around the studio.  The shop no longer sells them.  They have several other good scissors, I chose the KAI.  I've heard great things about this brand.  I hope they live up to their reputation. 


They will become the longarm scissors.  The scoop in the blade is great for cutting threads close to the quilt without cutting the fabric.


The shop didn't carry finger stilettos but they ordered it and it should be in soon.  It's made by Traditional Primitives.  You can find here.    It's supposed to make the edge turning safer and quicker than tweezers or a regular stiletto. 


Well, that's it for my quilt shop haul.  It was a fun day at Back Door Quilts.  They  have a small online shop that does not list everything in the shop but if you need something you might give them a call. They are really good about doing all they can to get it for you. 
Did I tell you they were featured on one of our local news channels?  Watch this short video on YouTube to get a little snippet of why I love this shop.













Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I was with some friends one time and we stopped in at the Back Door, I loved the shop! If it were nearer to me, I'd be there a lot! You do realize that you're going to have to go back to pick up the finger stiletto, more shopping! You've got some good plans, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...