Monday, August 19, 2024

Starting A New Scrap Quilt 3 Inch Blocks!

Hi Quilty Friends!  I'm so excited today to share my newest quilting adventure. Three inch finished Bow-Tie blocks.  


The plan is for a 90 x 90 quilt.  That's 900 Bow-Tie blocks.  


Assembling the blocks is a breeze.  The challenge is digging through the scraps.  It's going to be 100% scraps, even the background fabric.  You see, I have this large tote of white scraps.  Different shades of white fabric and a few white on white fabrics.  If I had to guess I would say there's about 12 years worth of fabric in here.  


For the white background fabric I will need (1,800) 2" x 2" squares.  So, I just grab what's on top and start cutting.  I don't care if they are the same shade of white.


Oh boy, this was quite the chore.  Cutting 1,800 squares from odd shapes took all weekend.


Today plan is start cutting the (1,800) 2" x 2" and (1,800) 1.25" x 1.25" prints.  


This is what it looks like after cutting all those white squares.  It barely made a dent.


The plan is to work only from my scrap bins.  Using every color except for black.  I think some of the low volume fabrics will work too if they have enough color on them.


Are you wondering why I'm starting a new quilt?  Well, I ordered a couple new tools to help me with the applique on the Bumpkin Basket quilt.  So, until they get here I need a project.  Another UFO would have been the smart choice. But a lunch break and scrolling Pinterest took me down a rabbit hole.  This was the image on Pinterest that stole my heart.  Those are 2" blocks!  The picture is from a blogger I know well.  Missy no longer blogs but is on Instagram.  Clicking on the image will take you to her blogpost about this quilt.

https://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2013/04/bow-tie-blocks.html

Then a couple hours passed as I searched for images of Bow-tie quilts and making my own Bow-Tie Pinterest board for the many different layouts and sizes.  There was no plan at the time to make this quilt, I was just killing time.  Something happened in those two hours and here we are making tiny little Bow-Tie blocks using Bonnie Hunters 2011 Leaders and Enders tutorial.


This post has been linked up at
And
Hop over for more quilt inspiration!









Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Cute quilt! I often up leftover whites/creams like that. No one really notices that the background fabrics are different whites. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that should keep you busy for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's hoping you have a great time using up many scraps with your bowtie blocks. I've been using them for my rainbow scrap challenge -- I'm guessing there are only a few more colors to add to all of my blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes - Pinterest is really a rabbit hole. This will be fabulous!! I have a bin full of white/cream scraps too - and bins of scraps sorted into colors. Perfect resources for such a scrappy project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's going to be some quilt, and great use of scraps. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH LEA ANNE -- can you hear me squealing with delight?! I LOVE this new project and I love that you're using a variety of white scraps for your backgrounds. The only thing I'd do differently, because I'm a cheating cheater who cheats, is that I'd use the AccuQuilt 3" finished bow tie die to speed up the cutting of all of those scraps and get me to the fun sewing them together stage faster. I love the smaller scale blocks and the vintage look they create, and can't wait to see this project come together for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so tiny, Lea Anne! But what a cute quilt that will be! It's great to hear from you! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...