Thursday, August 22, 2024

Ready, Set, GO!

 That's right, it's pedal to the metal time.  The last of the red Bow-Tie quilt blocks were cut yesterday and they are ready to be sewn together today.  


By my estimation these should take about three hours to complete.  Since underestimating is a problem for me, let's bump that three hours to five or six.  The first set of blocks are on the design wall in front of my sewing machine for inspiration.  It's my way of telling myself to keep stitching.


The top drawer of my sewing table has been pulled out and a design board placed on top to hold the background pieces and momma's Case XX shears for cutting of the flippy corners.  These old shears are the best.  I've had them for about eight years and they are still just as sharp as the day she gave them to me.


The handy BladeSaver Thread Cutter is ready to work its magical cutting powers as I chain piece the morning away.


A pressing station has been set up to my right.  Finger pressing is my go to method but occasionally some of these older and not so great fabrics need a little extra help to lay flat.


The pressing board has been covered with a cheap Walmart fabric due to the scorching cause by the Bumpkin Baskets applique work.  I don't want the scorching to transfer to my Bow-Tie blocks and I don't want to remove the scorched fabric because there's still applique work to be done.


Before leaving I want to share a super cute quilt found on Pinterest. There was a link to a blog.  You can find it here along with a few other vintage quilts.  As you can probably tell, this is a vintage quilt.  Hand pieced and quilted.  I love everything about this quilt.  A future quilt project for me?  Maybe.  I'm feeling pretty inspired but fickle all at the same time.   Anyway, I just thought you might want to see it too.


See you soon, wish me luck on those Bow-Tie blocks!








Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Have fun stitching the bow ties! I agree, blocks always take longer to piece than anticipated. Love the antique block! I went to the link, there were many beautiful antique quilts highlighted in that post. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are going to have a great day in the sewing room today. I can not wait to see your red bow ties all stitched up. I love your design boards and how everything is so handy. Have a wonderful day and Happy quilting. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how organized you are and how your finished blocks are right in front of your sewing machine. And that IS a fabulous antique quilt. I know I've seen that block design before but I can't remember the name of it. I will be lying in my bed wide awake at 3 AM trying to think of it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...