Friday, August 9, 2024

Applique Ideas

 The Bumpkins Baskets quilt is slowly coming to life and evolving along the way.  Below is one option for the final border applique.


And then there's the next option.


The original plan below was ditched when it came time to make those small cluster of flowers.  One big flower is easier and in my mind it looks better.


Some of the applique on this quilt is raw edge and some of it is prepared edge.  To make prepared edge applique some type of template is needed.  Normally I would use multiple layers of freezer paper to make the templates but not today.  The template below was made with No Melt Mylar Quilters Template.  It's sold in     18" x 12" sheets for around $6 to $7 at the local quilt shop, Joann's and of course Amazon.  I've been hoarding a couple sheets for years.  It's easy to store and forget under the cutting mat.  


The template material is smooth and slippery when trying to turn the edges under.  To stop the template from sliding a little basting glue is helpful.  I spray the back of the template, lay it on the fabric then cut about 1/4" away from the template.  


A watercolor painting pen filled with starch makes the turning process a little faster.


After ironing the edges into place, the template is removed.  The inner points of the flower need a little anti-fraying protection.   A very tiny amount of Aleene's Ok To Wash-it does the trick without being super stiff.  I've used this for years with no issues when stitching the applique by machine or by hand.


The hardest part of the process is deciding if I want blue or yellow in the center of each flower.  Maybe both?  What do you think?


I'm going to end the chat with a little real life photography.  Not so pretty.  I often wonder if every quilter is this messy.







Pin It

6 comments:

  1. The yellow stars are definitely a brighter center in the flowers. I'd say go with the yellow. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the yellow. Instead of alternating the blue & stars, I'd consider mixing them. Perhaps clusters of each in opposite corners, blending out along the sides.
    I see no mess! Why put the fabrics and scraps away mid-project when they'll likely be needed again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for tips on the applique. I've not done very much so this was really helpful. I like the yellow centers for the flowers and definitely the stars. Your quilt looks so pretty. And yes, my quilting/sewing/craft area looks messy like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're Welcome! Applique isn't for everyone. I prefer piecing over applique but I must admit I love the WOW factor of applique from time to time. Thanks for your input on my stars or circles question. So far the stars are winning, so I guess I'll make a few, put them in place to see if it suits my fancy. I think it will!
      I'm so glad to hear that you and others are messy quilters too! I'm also a messy cook. 😁

      Delete
  4. Lea Anne, I wish you included links to the products you recommend because I want one of those watercolor painting pens AND I want some Alene's OK to Wash. Both of those products are new to me! Do you use Best Press or regular starch inside your paintbrush pen? I've always used a regular paint brush and a little upside-down baby bottle cap full of starch, but it's so easy for that to get knocked over when I'm working and it's prone to evaporating, too. I love the yellow star shaped centers, by the way, in case you're tallying votes for one or the other. In the end you'll follow your own instincts and it will be another gorgeous quilt finish for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats not messy, you should see my room!!! But its called being "creative" and that you are! And your quilt is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...