Monday, September 23, 2024

Pretty In Pink

 Hi Quilty Friends!  The calendar said yesterday was the first day of Autumn.  Most quilters are stitching up fall leaves, pumpkins and bat quilts, not me, I'm loving the bright happy colors of Spring.

The weekend started with the search for 100 pink fabrics in the scraps.  Between the two scrap bins of pink fabrics, 99 different pinks were found.  I could pull a pink fabric from the fat quarter stash or the yardage stash, but I decided it would be cheating since this is supposed to be a true scrap quilt.  I was hoping to have no repeat prints but it's looking like that might not be doable.   I still need to make the yellow, green, gray, brown, orange and purple blocks.  Sigh...we'll see if I can pull an extra print out of another color. 


Me and the color pink go way back.  Maybe it comes from the love of Barbie when I was a child.  Or maybe it's just a girly thing.   Whatever the reason, pink has always dominated my fabric stash.  Some of the fabrics are upcycled fabrics from sheets, curtains and cloths. I also have two pink fabrics from my mom's fabric stash.  One of them has seen its way into many of my quilts.


It's an old Swiss dot.  The fuzzy kind of Swiss dot.  She gave me three different colors of these, mint green, baby blue and pink.  The baby blue is long gone.  I still have about a fat quarter of the mint green and as for the pink, just this small piece.  As most of you know, this is not 100% cotton.  And to be honest, I don't know if it's polyester.  It doesn't melt like a poly.  Well, it doesn't matter to me, it's fabric and it can be stitched.


Such a sweet little block with so much history.  Mom had this fabric in her stash when I was child.  I don't remember seeing her use it until my daughter was born.  She made her a dress and matching bonnet.  And silly me didn't keep them when she outgrew them.


There's one more fabric from Mom's stash.  It's even thinner than the Swiss dot.  And again, not cotton, but holds up well to ironing. 


To use it in the quilt it will need to be backed with something to cover up the holes(weave) in the fabric design.  I have stabilizers and interfacings, but I didn't like the way it looked.  So, I used quilt basting glue to attach the fabric to white cotton. 


This will close up those holes, stop the fraying while piecing and stop the batting from poking through the holes.


She turned out pretty cute!  The seams are a little bulky, but I don't think I'll have any trouble quilting it on the frame.


All of Pink Bow-Tie quilt blocks are finished...  


...and waiting for the rest of the rest of the blocks to join the party.  Only about 600 more blocks to go!













Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...