Friday, September 13, 2024

Twinkler Test Block ~ Jelly Roll Quilt

Oh how you sparkle and oh how you shine!  So simple and sweet.  She's a little wonky but once in the quilt no one will ever know.  I knew this would be the case for these blocks since I decided not to starch the fabrics.  Starching jelly roll strips can cause shrinkage and waviness during the pressing of the fabric strips.  Not a chance I was willing to take.

Another thing I did to safeguard against  inaccuracy was to layout my block on the mini design board and mark the diagonal stitch lines for the stitch and flip method.  Instead of drawing the line, a small dot was made on two corners of each background fabric for the star points.


You can see the small dots in the image below.  Adding the dots was faster and easier.  Now I could stitch in the proper direction every time. There's very little scrap fabric left on each Jelly Roll strip after cutting for one block.  Not much room for errors, so I want to insure proper stitching and cutting every time..


Because I don't like to waste even the tiniest bit of fabric another line was stitched about 1/2" away from the first line.  Then I cut in between both stitched lines to make the bonus half square triangle.


These will be trimmed to a usable size and stored after the quilt top is finished.  After trimming they will be stored with the thousands of other HST's waiting to become a quilt.


I hope this bowl is big enough for 336 HST's.  Oh my!  That's a lot of trimming! 


Jelly rolls are never the perfect 2.5" wide.  This roll was a little too wide.  Too big is better than too small.  Instead of trimming the excess I centered the background fabric on top of the print fabric as best as I could.


When stitching them together I used the edge of the background fabric as my seam guide as suggested by so many quilters out there on the internet.  I'm sure it worked great for them and I appreciate them taking the time to share the tip.  However, from this point forward I'm trimming off the excess before stitching. Not all tricks and tips work for everyone.


Todays goal is finish cutting is to finish the cutting for all the blocks and piece as many as the day will allow.  

If you would like to make your own Twinkle blocks I'm providing a simple cutting chart for one block.  

Background Fabric
A (13) 2.5 x 2.5
D (4) 3.5 x 3.5
E (4) 2.5 x 3.5

Print from one Jelly Roll Strip
B (4) 2.5 x 2.5
C (8) 2.5 x 3.5

Below is the layout for my quilt and background yardage requirements to make a quilt with

(42) 12" blocks 
 2.5" sashings
 2.5" outer border

 The yardage was calculated by EQ8.  I added a half yard more for mistakes in the program and for human cutting errors.

7 1/4  Yards of Background Fabric

Finished quilt size 
86 x 100



I'm linking up this blog post at the following linky parties.  If you're a quilt party kind of quilter then you'll love all the inspiration.  So hop on over! 















Pin It

11 comments:

  1. This blocks is so cute, your quilt is going to be awesome! Thanks for the pattern instructions, definitely bookmarking this page. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great block with pretty pink prints. Thanks for the dimensions. Looks like you are a 'perfect' piecer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. That is a beautiful block! I hope a jelly roll just waiting on this pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twinkler is an awesome block. I have some leftover jelly roll strips that will soon find their way into twinkler blocks. Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Twinkler block is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Not all tips and tricks work for everyone" -- truer words never spoken, in the quilting world anyway! I have never been able to get good results with the stitch and flip methods so I always cut and sew triangles with the seam allowance that works for me. Your Twinkler block is so lovely, the patches are the perfect scale for that sweet print.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute block!
    Thank you for the tip about laying out the whole block and marking the seam lines. I hope I can remember to give it a try next time I make a block with a lot of them going different directions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Jelly Roll creation! Your quilt will be awesome since you are using great fabrics. Thanks for sharing the pattern.. l'm sure l have a JR that's been waiting for just this pattern :) . Happy Stitching ... PattiK

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute block, Lea Anne. It really does twinkle! I can't wait to make one. Your quilt is going to look wonderful. Thanks so much for the measurements. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun block. Good for you for saving the bonus HST.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Twinkler is a beautiful block Lea Anne. Thank you so much for providing the cutting measurements. I am going to have to piece this fun block. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...