Monday, September 2, 2024

Bumpkin Baskets ~ The Final Border

 After wasting many hours trying to make this border tickle me pink, I gave up and decided to call it good enough.  It makes me happy to throw in the towel.  You know what they say... Finished is better than perfect!


The picture above is a bit deceiving.  Let's take a closer look.  See the gazillion pins?  Two days of my life was wasted pinning on the border, unpinning the border, trying different applique and pinning again and again and again.


The only way for me to know if I like the border is to see each little piece in its place.  Thank goodness I stockpile quilting supplies because I had to dig into the pin stash.  Hundreds of pins were needed.  About 200 pins, maybe more.  I didn't count how many I already had in the magnetic pin holder. 


It took another day and a half to glue the applique into place using Elmer's washable glue in an old Roxanne's basting glue bottle.  I like the fine tip on the Roxanne's bottle.  It puts the perfect amount of glue on the applique every time. To dry the glue quickly I set the iron on the silk setting.  The lower temperature setting will dry the glue with scorching it or the fabric.


For the next few days I'll be stitching the applique to the quilt top using the invisible machine applique technique.  My go to thread for this technique is Superior Threads Monopoly for the top and bobbin.  I say it all the time...I love this thread for applique.  


 A tiny little blanket stitch is perfect for hiding the stitching.  Once the quilt is washed, the stitches will be...INVISIBLE!  


I'm linking up this post at the following blogs.  Hop over to each link and be inspired!

and
and
and









Pin It

7 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL! Are you going to custom quilt this lovely quilt? Looking forward to that post, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this is coming together! Happy blanket stitching;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to get some of that thread to give it a try. I spent an hour or so looking for your blog -- I wanted to give you credit for the Benny quilt I just finished and was sharing. Eventually, I found it. (Doesn't help that I couldn't remember your name or the blog name. But I remembered reading the blog recently from some Linky Party.) I've linked to the Benny directions and hope you get some new readers from it. I liked making Benny as it uses 2.5" squares that I cut from left over fabric on a regular basis. Some how it didn't make much of a dent in my squares collection though! Your border looks fabulous to me. I do a bit of blanket stitching but never as much as you are doing on this quilt. It's going to be a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous border! It may be rough on you now but when it's done, oh boy it'll be a beauty you will be proud of. I loved doing machine applique (and machine attached borders) that way.

    I recently purchased some of those fine tip glue caps on Amazon but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I love using the Elmer's glue but need a way to apply it more precisely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you went with the star centers in the border. They tie in so nicely with the stars in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful border, and will be so worth the time invested once you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is a great border for a great quilt, Lea Anne! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Monday Musings! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...