Thursday, September 12, 2024

Starting A Jelly Roll Quilt

 There's a quilt partially quilted quilt on the frame and a quilt top almost finished on the ironing station.  Why not start another quilt? HAHA! Yep, this is how I roll.  The other two quilts have been UFO's for years so what's a few more days or weeks?


This Lori Holt Flea Market jelly roll was pulled a few weeks ago during a fabric organizing session.  It was purchased at our local quilt shop a years ago.   These smaller precuts are cute but they take up much needed fabric storage space.  I vowed to never buy another precut smaller than fat quarters.  Again I laugh...HAHA!  It sounds good, but seriously, sometimes you just need a small bit of the cutest fabrics ever.  Since the fabric stash is so large maybe I should vow to only buy smaller than a fat quarter cuts.  We all know neither will happen.  So I'm embracing the fact that obsessions come with impulsive behaviors and that's part of me being a quilter.

Well lets get back to these lovely fabrics and the plan for using them.  The quilt will be 42 blocks.  A 6x7 layout, with 2" sashings. 


The Flea Market roll has 40 strips, so a couple of Lori fat quarters have been added to the mix.  I choose red because it's my favorite quilting color.  A simple solid white background fabric to allow the prints to shine in all their glory.  The bolt of white has been hiding in my stash in the plastic for 4 yrs!  I bought it wholesale before closing my pattern store.


Today I'll make the a test block using the cutest fabric in the roll.  The adorable little crossing tulips on this strip make me smile.  After making the test block the rest of the blocks will be cut in preparation for a chain piecing marathon and hopefully a quick finish.


Want to see the pattern? Awe, sorry.  You'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'm sure my math is correct.  Okay, I'll give you a hint.  I'm calling this one Twinkler.  Any guesses on the block?


I didn't plan to make this quilt for National Sew A Jelly Roll Day.  But after seeing a video yesterday it made me think, why not start a new quilt.  I told myself to sleep on it and see how I felt in the morning....And here we are!
  
 Anyway, National Sew A Jelly Roll Day is on September 21, 2024.  Moda has hosted Project Jelly Roll for a few years.  I like to follow along every year for  fun and admire the creations. 

I've added the video below.  If your looking for Jelly Roll quilt inspiration this video is for you.  It's fun even if you don't like making Jelly Roll quilts.  I watched it several times yesterday while eating supper and again this morning.








Pin It

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...